Sunday 22 May 2016

Phoenix Industries Science Station Alpha Six

Its taken me three months of this and virtually nothing else but my Forward Base Kickstarter is finally approaching completion.  The buildings are mostly done,  with just a few final adjustments to be made and a few touch ups, but I now have 5 nicely detailed buildings in s ready enough state to hit the table.

All in all I am reasonably happy.  There was a lot of work in those seven buildings, as there are a load of additional resin pieces that need painted and then stuck on.  These pieces all help though as they looks more like buildings and less like MDF boxes.

One thing it has highlighted is my lack of skills as a model maker, as there a fair few mistakes made by me during the construction.  I had it pretty down by the 6th and 7th buildings but the early ones are a bit of a mess. Good enough for the table but not quite as good as I would have liked.  The thing I like the most about these buildings are the detailed interiors.  There are full sets of panels that fit nicely inside, hiding all the internal joins from the MDF. Furniture also helps to add an extra dimension, especially in the case of the Science Centre and Medical Centre as these have some very nice lab and medical equipment inside them.

I still have a bit of work to do to finish up a few of the buildings, and there are still the extras to paint and the vehicles but I am a bit burnt out on this at the moment and will revisit them at a later date.




How was the experience of painting and assembling these?  Pretty time consuming to be honest. Thank goodness I have an airbrush as I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me to do this without it!  Anteniciti have been very helpful throughout this process with great assistance with missing parts, as inevitably with the hundreds of pieces involved there will be some mistakes, but they always sent replacements nice and promptly.  They will look good on the table, especially when all the vehicles and additional scatter have been added to make it look like a working environment.


I originally bought these to use with my Aliens vs Predator kickstarter, and they scale very well with them, but they are generic enough to get used in most sci-fi settings, they may even get used for Infinity at some point.  I also hope in the future when the kickstarter is delivered that the individual components will be made available for retail, as I would like to get my hands on a pile of the external fittings to use with other buildings, but for now I am more than happy with what  have and hope that Anteniciti is not put off by this kickstarter and goes on to do some more.


All I need now are some civilian scientists to man/be rescued/eaten by Aliens...

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving these! They look fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing them on the table. Well done. From experince, I know the feeling to finally have a model project 'signed off' as complete. All the long hours of face-plaming and wild expletives are worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look very useful. Good looking terrain indeed.

    ReplyDelete